1992-1998 Senior Historic Preservation Specialist, New Jersey State Historic Preservation Office (HPO), Trenton, NJ, Architectural Historian, specializing in Section 106 review, housing, and review of Bond-funded preservation projects through the New Jersey Historic Trust.
As a 36 CFR Part 61 qualified professional, I reviewed public undertakings affecting historic architecture under Section 106 and New Jersey’s Historic Preservation Law.
This regulatory work required expertise with preservation laws and regulations, National Register of Historic Places criteria, Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for The Treatment of Historic Properties, architectural and conservation-related technical issues, and negotiation and partnership skills. I regularly produced workshops and publications and gave public presentations on the Investment Tax Credit, Section 106, other preservation regulations, and technical preservation topics. I chaired our in-house eligibility committee. I was also active in both State and local planning efforts that affected the preservation of historic neighborhoods and downtowns such as the following:
- Member, Advisory Committee for development of the rehabilitation building sub-code for New Jersey (the first complete code for existing buildings in the country)
- Member, The Governor’s Lead-Based Paint Hazard Task Force
- HPO coordinator and advisor for a major city-wide cultural resource survey of
- Advisor and member of survey team for a re-survey of historic sites in Camden
- HPO advisor for the Governor’s Urban Enterprise Program in several NJ cities
- HPO reviewer and co-coordinator for design guidelines and historic preservation manual for Historic Spring Street in Newton, NJ (funded by an HPO subgrant)